CompTIA Security+ Certification is vendor-neutral, well respected security certification because maximum and more than 250,000 holders of this certificate are held by numerous students across numerous countries around the world.
The certification holders of this credential are recognized as being to possess broad knowledge, expertise and superior skills technically in numerous disciplines that are related to security.
- The successful candidates who go for Security+ certification which is an entry level certification should possess 2 years of experience in Network security. These candidates should first go for network security credential. The various areas of certification for these network security professionals are security infrastructure, security risk identifications as well as mitigations, identity management, organizational systems, network access control and cryptography.
- The knowledgeable professionals are designated in the field of IT security which is amongst the leading fields of IT. CompTIA Security+ Certification has been approved by Department of Defense in US in order to meet the needs of technical information assurance and credentials of management.
- A single exam of Security+ certification is having the cost of $293 USD with discounts for those companies who are members of CompTIA. This is inexpensive relatively. Training is adequately available, but is not mostly required.
- If a person is credited with this credential before January 1st, 2011, he does not need recertification. For those candidates who are accredited after 2011, January 1st, re-accreditation is required every 3 years. The person to re-accredit requires passing 50 education units which are continuing and CEUs before the 3 year term passes by. CEUs are obtained by doing a series of activities like publishing white papers or articles, blogging, conference events participation, teaching and other activities.
Scope and importance-
Why this certification is needed-
- It has got approval from U.S Department of Defense for meeting IA management and technical requirement of certification
- It has been chosen by staff professionals at General Dynamics and Northrop Grumman, Prestariang Systems Sdn. Bhd. (Malaysia), Hitachi Information Systems (Japan), U.S. government contractors such as CSC
- It has to be updated in all 3 years and it is part of CompTIA Continuing Education program
Job Titles are as follows-
- Security Consultant
- IA Technician or Manager
- Security Engineer
- Network Administrator
- No prior courses are required for this certification. Before taking the certification the aspirant has to have 2 years of prior experience in administration of Information Technology with a focus on security especially in the network domain.
- Fees- $293 USD
- 90 questions maximum are asked. Time duration is 90 minutes. Pass mark -750 on range of 100 to 900. Performance-based and multiple choice question type are asked.
- Experience recommended is 2 years minimum experience in administration of IT having a focus on IT security. Languages required are initially English and different languages may follow.
- Code of exam is SY0-401.The local representative can be contacted for discounts academically. The materials of study are objectives of exam, questions of sample exam, training based on computer, study guide comprehensive ($50), kits of training and CertMaster training tool online. Voucher is bought.
- The date of retirement is SY0-301 and JK0-018 exams in English retired December 31, 2014. All the exams which are non-English will retire on 1st April, 2015.
- Introduction to Security
- Computer Systems Security
- OS Hardening and Virtualization
- Application Security
- Network Design Elements and Network Threats
- Network Perimeter Security
- Securing Network Media and Devices
- Physical Security and Authentication Models
- Access Control Methods and Models
- Vulnerability and Risk Assessment
- Monitoring and Auditing
- Encryption and Hashing Concepts
- PKI and Encryption Protocols
- Redundancy and Disaster Recovery
- Policies, Procedures, and People
- Compliance and Operational Security
- Applications, Data and Host Security